Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Burned



"Where there is desire means there's going to be a flame; and where there is a flame, someone's bound to get burned." -Pink

Do you remember how it feels to be in love? With every laugh, you fall more for the other person. With each glance and every surprise kiss, you can't help but think how lucky you are.

Now, do you remember what it feels like to have that taken away from you? To be ripped from you so fast you're left in utter shock? When every time you close your eyes your parting conversation haunts you?

I do.

I think the worst part about a break-up is when you realize the person you were once with is nothing more than a stranger now. The memories you shared become a piece of your imagination. 

My question for everyone who knows what I’m talking about is: Are we sad the relationship is over or that the other person will forget about us? That is the troubling thing about break-ups: Are we holding on to memories or to people?

It’s hard to distinguish between missing that person and missing the memories. I’m sure every person around you has told you the age-old saying, “time heals all.” But with your memories haunting you, that can be a daunting piece of advice.

As this chapter is forced to an end, a hopeful one opens up. So here’s to all you strong, independent women; May your future be bright with love and happiness

6 comments:

  1. Very inspiring and well written! I like how you challenged the "time heals all" cliche. Time may heal all wounds, but the wait is sometimes unbearable. I'm glad you found strength during a trying time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey, I love this. In the past, I have struggled with these same thoughts and found myself wondering if I missed the person or the memories. What I discovered in my case, however, is I missed who that person was in the past and the memories, not who they are in the present. Knowing that a change has occurred and when it is time to move on is a difficult realization, but will help in the end. Although cliche, I do believe that time heals all; the amount of time, however, is undetermined based on the circumstance and person going through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very genuine and well written, I admire your courage to tackle such deep topics. Heartbreak, especially following the end of a relationship, is very complex and difficult to understand and deal with; it's something I've struggled with significantly. I like your stance on it and your relentless honesty with yourself: the "time heals all" adage, while ultimately true, downplays just how difficult that "time" can be to get through

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very impressed that you tackled something so profound. The adage 'time heals all' is really thrown about and I think many people believe it because they want it to be true, not necessarily because it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting subject to tackle here. You write in ways both personal and informative; not an easy thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I truly believe that we sometimes try and remember all the good times and wonderful traits this person had, when what we really need to do is why it did not work out in the first place. Easy to say, buy very hard to do. Heartbreak is never easy. Good luck with moving forward and healing.

    ReplyDelete